Sunday, January 27, 2008

It's midnight and I need to distract myself from reading...

So I think I should maybe resurrect this blog. Although I guess it can't really be classed as a resurrection as it never really got written in to begin with...

Well... you know, I've been busy. Lots of exciting things happened. I worked in a hospital. I went to university. I came home and worked in a hospital. I went back to university.

Which is where I am now, and also why I'm here, looking for any distraction.

I'm supposed to be reading If This Is A Man, by Primo Levi. I have 75 pages left. I can't cope anymore, I've had to take a a break.

(I've been on this break since 2pm.)

It's not that it's badly written... although it is badly translated. It's just that Levi's account of his time in Auschwitz is never really going to be 'enjoyable' reading, and I'm kind of in the mindset where I'd rather read Are You Dave Gorman? again instead.

Which is bad. Because I have to read this for my seminar on Tuesday morning. And also because it feels morally wrong to skim-read, or skip bits, or give up altogether and just go to bed.

Sigh.

Today I've been very productive. I read a bit. I went to tri club and did a swimming session. I got back and cooked enough food for either four people or four days. I observed my friend Lord D. (who is not really a Lord, but we never talk about that) try and break into our block. I made hot chocolate for him, our Cat Rob (who also isn't a cat, but we never talk about that, either) and my two neighbours. We watched an episode of Jeremy Kyle on youtube because the Cat mentioned the Westboro Baptist Church and we rushed to see Mr Kyle take them on, which basically seemed to consist of Shirley Phelps saying 'WE ADHERE TO THE STANDARDS OF GOD' and Jeremy Kyle saying 'You're DERANGED!'.

Okay, I just clicked on another page that was up and someone appears to have googled 'screwdriver in head x-ray' on my laptop. Bit concerned.



I would imagine this came up following more talk of how my neighbour, the Actor, stabbed the Cat in the eye with a plastic sword on Friday night. We never talk about that incident.

Right. I've now finished my hot milk... I've watched an interview with Louis Theroux on youtube... I've opened a word document to start drafting up a script that Lord D. and I have to have done by Thursday night... and I've typed nothing in it thus far.

I should probably go to bed.

Although I am totally going to come here more often.
It's the last place anybody would think to look for me.

They'll never find me here, I laughed, eyes streaming with plastic swords.

No comments: